Canada's Second Largest City
Home of hockey, smoked meat and Cirque Du Soleil – listen out for the language of love and you’ll know you’re in Montreal!
Brush up on your French – a little goes a long way in this spirited city. Montreal is the second largest city in Canada, with it’s European flair and sophistication, quaint cobbled streets and never ending list of attractions, you’ll easily find an excuse just to stay a little longer!
Food in Montreal is a daily celebration and the quality is really a cut above the rest! With more restaurants per capita than anywhere in North America, aside from New York, you could just eat your way around the city! Getting down to basics though, you would be a fool not to try an incredible Montreal smoked meat sandwich! (Vegetarians and vegans excepted).
Bikes and Hockey!
If you want to save your feet for hiking in the wilderness, then exploring Montreal by bike is an excellent option! Montreal has hundreds of kms of bike lanes, paths and trails, and don’t worry about not having your own bike with you. Montreal’s shared BIXI bike program has more than 5000 bikes at over 300 locations, so you can pick them up and drop them off whenever and wherever you are for a small charge!
Montreal is the home of the professional ice hockey team the Montreal Canadiens. If you’re a hockey fan (if you’re not, don’t tell the locals) it may interest you to know that the very first indoor hockey game was played in Montreal in 1875, the game took place on the Victoria Skating Rink and was played with a wooden puck! Of course, no good old Canadian hockey game would be complete without a fight and they didn’t fail to disappoint!
Highlights for Visiting Montreal
- Visit the district of Old Montreal and take a look inside the Notre Dame Basilica
- Rent a BIXI bike and explore the city
- Spend some time at the Montreal Biodome – Formerly the velodrome for the 1976 Olympic Games!
- Walk through Mont Royal Park for the best views of the city
- Take part in one of Montreal’s many, many festivals
- Try typical French Canadian food, Montreal smoked meat or poutine!
- Check out one of Montreal’s many museums